Sunday, May 25, 2008

Good Morning...Romania


8:30 a.m. Sunday morning - Breakfast Room
As I eat breakfast on the most beautiful, sunny Romanian morning, the evidence of development is not far away. Across the street from the sunfilled breakfast room is a renovation underway of a massive eastern-style mansion that was left to crumble over the decades. (See attached photo.) New windows grace the exterior and the facade remains hopeful that the carved details and moldings will be answered - the evidence of building debris up to the first floor claims this may be so.

Hours of walking through the old city last night left me jumping with excitment. The dilapidated old buildings from a bygone era are indeed in mid- to late-stage renovations in the hopes to revitalize the old town for tourists and businesses. (Photos - Work in progress and Below, the Old City Bucharest street repair.) Great progress has been made since I was here just two years ago - most likely the evidence of EU funding or other means. I love the old eastern and Turkish architecture. It speaks to me in a way that few forms do.

As I sip Turkish coffee and eat a yogurt, I am deeply satisfied despite a night of very little sleep. As I get older, jet lag seems to impact me more pervasively. Instead, I spent a few hours reading Barack Obama's book "Dreams from My Father" from 1-4 a.m. Time well spent. He is a fascinating man having lived in the U.S. including Hawaii and Thailand before the age of 10 years. A man with deep international ties and understanding met through a lived experience.

Having a bit of trouble this time with the language barrier. Almost nobody so far has been English-speaking and having challenges even explainging the need for water - Romanian is so different that even my french words do not translate. But, most of my interactions have been with restaurant staff and help - this will probably prove different once I start work on Monday.

A double rainbow cut through the sky after a downpour (see photo) last night, reminding me of another double rainbow that filled the sky on my first day in South Africa last fall. A sign of a good trip then and since I haven't seen once since until now, I believe to be another sign of goodness to come.

I am somehow comfortably OK with the spontaneity of this culture and the lack of control with the language. I guess, Romania isn't the only one progressing...