I haven't been to a member's gathering at the High Museum of Art since I started my work at the Center. In fact, an institution that once took a cornerstone role in my life was placed on the backburner since 2003 when my career took-over. Once a member of the Guild Board at the museum, art and hanging with those that love it have been dearly missed in my life.Entering the museum Friday night for jazz, social and the collection viewing, my heart skipped a few beats -- most especially when I saw the statue "The Veiled Rebekah" (Giovanni Maria Benzoni, 1864 White marble 64 x 23 x 19 1/2 inches) that has taken a prominent role in the second story gallery since I have been away. It is breathtaking with the intricate detail of the lace of the veil carved into the white marble.

Art to me is fantastic and brings drama to life. No big surprise since I have artists generations deep on both sides of my family. Thom was surprised to hear that my great-great grandfather has a painting in the National Gallery (I guess I hadn't mentioned it), www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1975/5/1975_5_60.shtml and my mother is a portrait artist http://www.gailpalpant.com/ (Picture: Sisterly Sacrament by Gail Palpant, Pastel 36 X 48, Collection of Jan Parson). My french grandfather did fine woodworking, homebuilding, and furniture-making (Photo: Roger Palpant, 1911, Il Matten, Algeria, pictured with hand-carved tea tray of Northern African design).
It is time, well-overdue time, that I re-engage with this life!
