Saturday, January 12, 2008

From Where I'm Sitting...

This Friday I am presented with the challenge of speaking to 100 fresh-faced graduate students mastering in community counseling at the institute from which I did my masters work. The VP of Alumni Relations conveyed the message, "tell them how you got to where you are, they really need to know that." A part of me wanted to ask, "do you think they really want to know the truth?" (Photo: A view from my office, I am positioned to watch weather transition over the city - in this case a late afternoon storm coming through - My office sits on Copenhill, the hill that Sherman sat on to watch the city of Atlanta burn.)

The girl of 24 that graduated with her masters from the institution hadn't a clue where her road would actually take her (and if I'm going to be honest, still doesn't). I thought I knew - trained to do private practice counseling I graduated and set out to do just that! Wow, little did I realize that I was far too passionate to sit for hours on end within four walls and certainly didn't realize that my "caring too much for the people I sat with" would take its toll on me in every way. Passion, training, and networking only take you so far -- does this crew really want to hear that?

I wouldn't be where I am today without the following elements: a cancer diagnosis twice by the age of 35, a couple of severed love relationships, my golden rule - do something every day that scares the crap out of me, working more than 1 job at more than a few times in these years to stay afloat financially, an unwavering faith in God, and a passion for the journey of life that will not be squelched no matter the hardship.

I continue to be awed by how these elements interweave to create such beauty in my daily life. Stuff that should bring me down pretty consistently. (Photo: The storm begins moving over the city but creates dynamic light/dark contrasts with the sun.) But dare I say to these students, if you want to reach your dreams, embrace every piece of life as an opportunity to grow, learn, and explore the belovedness of who you are? To never let go of your passion no matter the hardship or the words of the cynics vibrating in your ears?

These thoughts are winding around in my head as a prepare for a meeting this week. I have been asked to be on the editorial board for a special issue of a New York-based magazine. I'm pinching myself as I yet again have the opportunity to be among amazingly smart and diverse people who will challenge me in every way. And I still have to ask myself, how did I get here??? And yet, I'm suppose to be answering that question before an audience this week??

In addition, twice this week I have been asked to write my story of cancer and recovery. A former Fellow has agreed to be my editor. She pushed me a little when I said that I had some initial feelers out for "Women and Cancer" magazine (a friend knows the publisher). M. said that I should think bigger, that this story should have a broader appeal and that I should think national magazines. Wow - push me. (Do something every day that scares me- right?) This seems to be confirmed when I switched on NPR to hear an interview with the current female President of Harvard University http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=9-Jan-08 and she explored the impact of having had thyroid cancer with Terry Gross. She shares my diagnosis and knows the huge challenge each day presents as we try to create balance out of renegade hormones. An interview worth hearing.
I'm off now to see the movie "The Bucket List" http://thebucketlist.warnerbros.com/ Sounds like its right up my alley.
Love to you all!