This morning I'm sipping on the most amazing thick, black coffee in the world -
I just finished the book "A Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion, the wife of the late great writer John Gregory Dunn. A work similar to C.S. Lewis' "A Grief Observed," The New York Times named it the number one book of 2005. A journey into the year following the loss of her lover of 40 years after his massive/fatal heart attack. Joan explores the uncontrollable nature of life.
"Life changes fast.
Life changes in the instant.
You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends."
A beautiful depiction of soulmates who spent their 40 years sharing the most beautiful, simple moments of life -- observing the winter gray turning into the crisp freshness of spring during a morning walk; critiquing the writing of the other; living out the daily activities of life together. The simplicity and complexity of their relationship has me intrigued, and I find myself realizing that the organic activities of life are pregnant with beauty and fullness -- far over anything manipulated or manufactured.
These thoughts are even more true as I live my days out in Romania -- the coolness of the dim, vast stone and marble foyers of the old buildings when entering from the hot, dirty street; sharing a special dinner and surprise mint ice cream with my colleagues and Romanian friends in an early celebration of my birthday next week (BM, the chef of our hotel is Lebanese and he made FB for the FB. :) ; having 3 y/o Anna hug me and sing "Happy Birthday." This is life -- and I have to agree with Joan Didion -- it changes in an instant, but so can we with our arms open wide.
Enough of the mushy stuff (but 'tis Rebecca or the Dupster, what do you expect?) --
A day full of meetings with the Romanian League for Mental Health, the Center for Legal Resources, and a final meeting with the Center for Independent Journalism solidified our position that we accomplished exactly what we set out to do on this trip and more. The partnership is sealed and details are falling into place. More than likely, I will need to return in 3-4 months to see the start of our training program now under development. I am confident we are leaving it in expert, able hands to shape it into a model fit for their use!
This morning I am going to visit a new community-based treatment center, one of the only in Romania, and meet with some consumers (people who have sought treatment services). This will take me about an hour outside of the city, but it will be crucial in completing my understanding of the slow progress the country is making toward more person-centered care.
Then...I am going shopping with Ioana AVADANI, our administrator of the Fellowship. My first real taste of relaxation in a week! I'm looking forward.
Now, this girl needs to figure out how to leave this country -- I have fallen deeply in love over such a short time (not hard for me to do) . The love is for the friends and people I have met and for their fight to be free. Their fight resonates with me -- and I join them in it!
