Thursday, September 27, 2007

A touch of heaven, when you are going through hell

Just now at the point where I can at least throw the photos from the Mayo here on the blog. I think it will take some time for me to digest my experiences at the clinic, but admittedly, it was a touch of heaven when one is going through hell.

The artwork on every possible surface and ceiling inspired even the most hardened heart. The statue of the man lifting his arms up to the universe took my breath away when I saw his two story figure hanging in the grand atrium. It is a powerful illustration of what I have found myself doing over the past 17 months - lifting my arms up and releasing control of my life and my health. All of us at the clinic were in various stages of this pose. (Photo: Bigger than life statues fixed to the exterior wall of the Mayo building.)

My team was outstanding, and beyond compare. Thankfully, they will be taking over my care moving forward.

I am doing fine, and healing each day, thanks to God. (Photo: Chihuly installation in the main registration lobby.) The most challenging issue, oddly enough, has been the change/shift in medications. Thankfully, I am young, and strong and I adapt quickly. Speaking of adapting, I leave for South Africa in 8 days and have now found out that I have three radio interviews and may be meeting with the President while I'm there. (Photo: Original Mayo building - 1905.) How does one move from treatment to the Presiden't office in three short weeks. I don't know. If you have suggestions, I am willing to take them! (Photo:A view from radiology.)