Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Return...

After meeting with a group of 25 consumers of mental health services in an outpatient clinic based in a state-run facility - one of the first of its kind - I was awed at the power of the grassroots consumer movement now underway in Romania. Joel and I spoke to the group for almost an hour via translation and gained considerable feedback from their perspectives and advice. Although some were experiencing active psychosis and acting out behavior, the skills of the psychiatrist (a man my age and a reformer) reminded me of the practically unnecessary use of restraints and force. Through the use of his voice, controlled eye contact, and hand gestures, he was able to control outbursts. I'm thankful there is a strong soul modeling these progressive methods for Romania. It is practically unheard of at this point...

My rainsoaked, lost luggage returned to me two days after my arrival in the US. A delayed plane in Bucharest required me to run through CDG airport in Paris - now construction zone with make-shift hangers acting as terminals - and maneuver through multiple security clearances after an array of bus transports. They held the packed plane for me - thankfully, somewhat delayed by engine maintenance. Whew!

No rest for the weary - for now is when my sleeves really roll up and I begin the work of implementing the plans developed for the Romania training/Fellowship.

I was met at the office with decisions about awarding the 2006-2007 Fellows announced yesterday and planning for a very important meeting held yesterday as well. Delegates from California Prop. 63 convened with us at the Carter Center to discuss anti-stigma efforts in their coordination of spending the $1.1 billion in tax money received for mental health. Prop. 63 taxed 1 % of income on anyone earning over $1 million in CA, with all monies collected going to mental health services and prevention. There is something very satisfying about knowing Tom Cruise has to contribute to mental health! They are very interested in anti-stigma efforts and were keen on discussion the Fellowship program and our work. I provided a presentation and discussion -- with a lot of care -- knowing the responsibility that goes with such measures.

Next week I head to DC to meet with the writers/producers of "ER" and "House" to discuss best practices for portraying bipolar disorder on their shows. Just in the short time I have been doing this work I am feeling a significant change of tide, and with the growing groundswell of support, it is possible to turn the tide both here and abroad. I am humbled to play a small role in this effort.