Monday, July 23, 2007

A Second Chance...

After closing on the investment property only 3 1/2 weeks ago, I sit writing this with my muscles aching, my knees rubbed raw and black dye speckled all over my legs/hands/feet. This all feels oddly familiar as the echos of the townhouse experience of two years ago invade my conscious. This, however, is a very different experience: far less ambitious, seemingly more creative from a design sense, and much more streamlined somehow. Projects that took 3 months at the townhouse have completed within 8 days here. A charmed property - perhaps, despite the urine soaked carpet and ghosts of an evicted tenant dancing in the shadows- or maybe even more it is wisdom earned from experience.

The Mayfair Tower (right) is an interesting property nestled next to Piedmont Park with the most diverse group of residents I have seen in some time. Luxury high-rises attract a certain breed that is not duplicated elsewhere. Everything is a walk away, and I have discovered that I love that. I have decided that once I buy a place for myself to settle in (and NOT invest) I want to be down here. It is electric with the busyness of the city but earthy in some odd sense, perhaps Piedmont Park evokes that feeling.

Within the past nine days, kitchen cabinets have been refinished and dyed an incredibly dark mocha shade, a wood-floor laid, a granite countertop measured and ordered, suede paint splashed on the walls in the kitchen, the most gorgeous fitted-furniture vanity selected for the bathroom, deep coffee colored hues selected for the walls and trim with such inspiring names as Latte, Cappuccino, and Chocolate - all from Restoration Hardware http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product.jsp;jsessionid=EOEXBZM3CVO2BLAWC2ASAOVMCYLACH20?productId=prod1048003&navCount=1 (Right). A Benjamin Moore addict, admittedly these tints made me sway on this project. They got them right, somehow, and they pop with the insets painted chocolate (glass shelves and undermounted lighting make them sizzle). I jumped in circles after I fitted the foyer chandelier with the crystals that created a kaleidoscope of color dancing around the walls. Ever the kid, I'm the one that had to the fit the "pretties" on the ceiling fixture.
With the delivery of the stainless steel appliances, the project really felt underway. But it certainly won't feel complete until the new sensual creme/champagne deep shag carpet we found is installed in two weeks.
The design is informed by my new favorite designer Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz and author of the new book "Emotional Rooms" http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Rooms-Interiors-Benjamin-Noriega-Ortiz/dp/0743285042 (Left and Below). He blends sleek modern lines with old world furnishings and sensual fabrics that create dreamscapes. In essence, places to escape from this stressed, soulless world.

The lighting in the condo borders on industrial with stainless steel, halogen beams that bounce off earthy elements like hardwood floors, granite countertops and banana leaf-woven chairs.

I feel like I have a second chance, a second chance at another investment property, a second chance at doing interior design again (who knows where it will lead), a second chance at living the life I want to live despite illness that always looms at the door, and a second chance (perhaps out of many more chance to come) to rub silky fabrics between my fingers, feel the milky texture of paint as it speckles on my skin while I paint, to sink my toes into a luxurious rug that almost buries them in its depth, to see color come alive and create squares of space that didn't exist before, and...and the opportunity to work with my incredibly talented sis and brother that make it happen mechanically and electrically. Ever the designer, I see the vision but have "0" ability to translate it to the world of nuts/bolts and hard wire.

Life is full of second chances...somehow I believe that tonight.